Salmon Burgers with Olive Tapenade
1/2 kg wild salmon fillet
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 shallot, minced
1-2 tbsp quinoa flakes (or bread crumbs)
1/2 cup (~75 g) kalamata olives, stones removed
1 small garlic clove
1/2 anchovy fillet (1 if small)
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (could use olive oil from anchovies)
2 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp orange zest
2 basil leaves (optional)
1. Remove skin and bones from salmon and cut into 1-inch pieces. Place in a blender/food processor and blend until finely chopped.
2. Transfer into a bowl and add mustard, tarragon, shallot, lime zest and egg, and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated into the salmon meat.
3. Add quinoa flakes, 1 tbsp at a time, to help the mixture to stick together properly. If the mixture is a bit 'sloopy', chilling the mixture for 1 hour helps to hold it together nicely.
4. Divide the mixture into quarters and shape each portion into a patty.
5. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil. Add salmon burgers and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides and opaque in center (~8 minutes total).
6. To make the tapenade place all ingredients into a blender/food processor and puree until well blended.
7. Serve burgers on a bed of greens and top with tapenade.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THIS DISH?
Salmon and anchovies are excellent sources of health-promoting omega-3 fatty acids, vital nutrients that make up the building blocks for healthy cell membranes.
These fatty acids can help promote a healthy anti-inflammatory response making them beneficial for joint pain/inflammation. They are known to help with skin and brain health and they have been found to offer cardiovascular protection.
Salmon is also a very good source of protein which helps us have a better control of blood sugar levels and provides us with the amino acids that our bodies need to make muscles, tissues, hormones, neurotransmitters and health-protective antibodies.