2 tbsp coconut oil
1-2 leek, including its tender green parts, sliced
6 carrots, cut in small pieces
1 tsp grated ginger
1-2 tsp grated turmeric
6 cups (~ 1500ml) chicken bone broth
1/2-3/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tsp orange zest plus extra for garnishing
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: fresh mint leaves for garnishing.
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the leeks for about 3 minutes, until soften.
2. Add carrots, ginger and turmeric and sauté for 5 minutes until the carrot pieces begin to soften.
3. Pour in the bone broth and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until the carrots are tender on the outside but slightly firm on the inside.
4. Place into a blender, in batches if necessary, and blend until creamy or until it reaches the desired consistency.
5. Return to the saucepan and add the orange juice and zest. Warm the soup through and season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Serve into bowls and garnish with orange zest and mint leaves.
what are the benefits of this dish?
Carrots are one of the richest sources of carotenoids, which can be converted into the fat-soluble vitamin A, an important nutrient that helps support vision health and boost the immune system. Carotenoids can also act as antioxidants that help protect against cardiovascular disease and cancer.