· ½ banana, frozen
· ¼ ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
· 1 small handful spinach (could be frozen)
· 1 handful frozen berries
· 1 ½ teaspoons shelled hemp seeds
· ¼ cucumber, chopped
· 1 tbsp cacao nibs
· 1 cup coconut water or water, plus extra if needed
1. Chop the banana and put into a freezer bag. Exclude all the air, then seal and freeze overnight or until solid.
2. Put the banana into a blender or NutriBullet and add the remaining ingredients.
3. Blend until smooth and creamy, adding a little more water, if needed.
4. Serve immediately.
What are the benefits of this dish?
Although essential for energy production, magnesium is commonly low in people’s diets, specially athletes. This creamy and hydrating smoothie will help to improve magnesium levels and it is also rich in electrolytes, potassium and sodium.
The range of nutrients in raw cacao include exceptionally high levels of magnesium, iron, chromium and powerful antioxidants. Cacao nibs contain no sugar but provide a natural feel-good lift, thanks to the chemicals contain in them, including tryptophan and phenylethylamine (PEA). PEA is a chemical produced in the brain associated with feelings of being in love. It helps to stimulate alertness and focus, producing an overall sense of well-being.
Hemp seeds have a mild, creamy and nutty flavor, are packed with a complete blend of essential amino acids, and have a perfect ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids to help manage inflammation.